Monday, January 6, 2014

Blog 10: Senior Project - The Holiday

1. What did you do over break with your senior project?
  • Over break, I continued looking at research to help conceive a few ideas, angles, and answers regarding my new essential question. I visited my local library to check out potential articles and books to use for the upcoming research checks, and spent time reading over these materials. I also spent some time working on my independent component, where I contacted yearbook design team members and turned in the remainder of our proof spreads.
2. What is the most important thing you learned from what you did and why? What was the source of what you learned?
  • The most important thing I learned is how to manage time while working on a product which involves heavy investment of teamwork. What I mean by this is that deadlines are a huge concern in working on any type of project, in my case, the first deadline of the yearbook. Managing your own deadlines within a major deadline is something that an editor must know how to do. Every assignment given should not only be of high quality, but must be turned in on time, or else it won't be in the final copy of the yearbook. In order to make sure it is, there are steps along the way in which I will have to schedule certain times where a component of a spread is due, before the final due date. For example, a complete spread may be due January 27. It is part of my duties to manage how the spread will be completed. An outline may be due January 1; then, photos for that spread should be due January 7. The source from where I learned this is from the book titled, "The Editor-in-Chief: A Management Guide for Magazine Editors," by Benton Rain Patterson and E.P. Patterson. This book had a whole chapter dedicated to time management, which I personally think was the most important part that I have read so far.
3. If you were going to do a 10 question interview on questions related to answers of your EQ, who would you talk to and why?
  • I would talk to the Class of 2012's Editor-in-Chief, Elissa Fultz, who has more than five years of experience in Yearbook, and also worked on other independent projects of editorial publication. If I am unable to be able to interview Elissa, I would interview a fellow Yearbook advisor, Rebecca Chai. Rebecca Chai works at Walnut High School, and has prior experience working as  an editor for a newspaper as well as being a representative for Herff Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment