Thursday, February 6, 2014

Blog 14: Independent Component 1

Literal:
  • (a) I, Krystal Lam, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.
  • (b) Sources used:
    • Mimi Orth, my mentor. 
    • The Editor-In-Chief, by Benton Rain and Coleman E.P. Patterson. 
      • (MLA: Patterson, Benton Rain, and Coleman E. P. Patterson. The Editor in Chief: A Management Guide for Magazine Editors. Second Edition. Ames: Iowa State, 2003. Print.)
    • The Yearbook Bible (Chapter: The Elements of a Yearbook Spread), by Dolores Sanders and Mimi Orth. 
      • (MLA: Sanders, Dolores. "The Elements of a Yearbook Spread." The Yearbook Bible. By Mimi Orth. 4th ed. Charlotte: Herff Jones, 2012. Print.)
  • (c) My log of hours dedicated to this independent component is located on the right sidebar of my blog, called "Independent Component 1 Log." Also on the sidebar is a document titled "Independent Component 1 Completed." Some previous blog posts of mine contains photos and descriptions of what I did while working on first deadline.
  • (d) I completed the first deadline of the 2013-2013 yearbook. The first deadline consisted of the cover, endsheets (also known as the "space for signing and signatures"), and pages one through thirty-two.
Interpretive:
  • I worked on completing the first thirty-pages of the yearbook, where I had designed a few of my own spreads, brainstormed on coverage ideas, assisted and taught the design team, gathered and organized content such as photographs and writing, and edited or revised spreads before they would be turned in. The first deadline is honestly the most important, because it contains many of the color pages and has the most impact on the school body, being that it contains the cover as well. I was responsible for making sure that all of these spreads would be turned in on or before the due date, November 18, 2013. I dedicated many hours to creating and editing spreads, as well as directing, helping, and guiding the design team on their assigned pages. I had to refer back to my sources every now and then to ensure that the spreads would turn out to be quality ones, where the overall aesthetic of the spreads would be pleasing and interesting. I also spent time going over and checking all of the photos and writing from staff members. Going along with the ideas given by the designers and their respective spreads, I personally picked photos and chose the stories that were suitable for each spread. The evidence can be located on the right sidebar of my blog, titled "Independent Component 1 Completed," as well as in a few previous blog posts where you can view photos and descriptions of what I worked on for the first deadline.
Applied: 
  • This component helped me understand the foundation of my topic, Editorial Publishing, much better because it showed me the kind of work an editorial publisher puts into the creation and creative process of their product. In my case, I had to dedicate a lot, and I mean A LOT of time, thought, and creative vision into my product, which was the 2013-2014 yearbook. Being that this was only the first deadline, this independent component also prepared me for the onslaught of more deadlines to come, a main component in an editorial publisher's duties. Independent Component 1 has also pushed me to continue learning how to produce a quality yearbook, by teaching, directing, and working with your fellow designers, editors, and staff.
Grading Criteria:
  • Link on sidebar, "Independent Component 1 Hours Log."
  • Link on sidebar, "Independent Component 1 Completed," as well as some previous blog posts containing photos and descriptions of what I did working on first deadline.
  • This is the LIA, and it is on my blog once I press "publish." (・∀・ )

1 comment: