Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Blog 3: Topic Choice and Semester 1 ESLR Goals

1.  List your topic here: Editorial Publishing
2.  What do you plan to do this year to show growth in each of the ESLRs?  Be specific and use an example.  Examples can come from senior project, model assembly, core, and/or participation in senior class ASB or other organizations on campus (clubs etc).
  • iPoly Citizen
    • In order to grow as an iPoly citizen, I will acknowledge the interdependence that I need not only as a student, but as an individual. I will definitely be active in class committees and engage with other classmates in the planning and running of events. I also will try my best to attend as many events as possible. I feel that holding a lot of events, parties, and whatnot is a wonderful way to bring our senior class closer as a whole, and build a lasting impression of the high school experience. Also, it's good to have some fun and enjoy yourself. Bonding, communicating, understanding, and learning with my graduating class will really help make my senior year memorable. 
  • Effective Learner
    • I understand that it is solely my responsibility to learn and understand what is being taught for my benefit. Throughout my time at iPoly, each course, component, and project has shown me the importance of application, awareness, and self-influence. For this year, I definitely plan to keep up-to-date on every assignment with my planner. I will also try to ask more questions, because detailed and thorough explanations do help me in the long run. Also, I'll try to study material at home as well. It's my obligation to use my creativity and understanding to set an example for others in my classes, as well as improve on myself as an individual student.
  • Effective User of Technology
    • Even though I'm a tech junkie, I still admit that I need to improve on my skills. With project-based learning, however, I find it much easier to apply technology into our components and so on. Using programs such as PowerPoint, Word, Photoshop, inDesign, and so on, not only visually represents the material being taught, but also helps me make a personal connection to what I'm learning. I'm a visual learner, and I love to take material and visually represent it in my own way. This year, I will use the best of my skills to integrate different technological mediums to further visually represent material, as well as allow for more creative freedom. I want to expand my knowledge on using certain technology, like the iPads. Integrating technology is something every student should be able to use.  
  • Effective Communicator 
    • An example where I can be an affective communicator can come from my participation in the Yearbook elective. As Co-Editor-In-Chief, it is my responsibility to represent the voices and personalities that iPoly has. Working with my yearbook staff has shown me that each staff member depends on me as a leader, and also on each other, while I depend on them and my editors. Teamwork is interdependent, and although it can be tough, it is highly important to be able to communicate efficiently. Being put into project groups for three years has also taught me that listening to what everyone has to say is fundamental in teamwork. This year, I will definitely work on my communication skills, especially scheduling and planning. Talking through email, Facebook, and texting is not sufficient in leading a group or getting things done. I'm a quiet person but this year I want to change that. I want to establish consistent and effective communication with my classmates, so that every person is comfortable with what is going on and what needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment