Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Blog 2: Summer Mentorship Component

1. Mentorship Log
2. Mentor: Mimi Orth - (626)798-1680
3. What questions did I have during the mentorship?
  • How do the various elements from the professionals (advertisements and magazines) impact the way a yearbook looks?
  • How does today's print and electronic trends influence a yearbook theme?
  • How can a yearbook theme be visually represented by its' spreads?
  • How can the audience/student body of a school be best represented by a yearbook theme and its' design?
4. What is the most important thing you gained from this experience? Why?
  • The most important thing I've gained from my mentorship is that no matter what a yearbook staff likes or doesn't like, their opinion should not ultimately affect the final theme of a yearbook. Throughout the entire experience, my staff and I were adamant on creating a theme that solely reflected the school and its' students, and not just our personal likes and dislikes. This is crucial in creating a yearbook, mainly because it is the theme that influences the rest of the decisions that are to come; for example, what tone of voice our stories would use, what design elements we would utilize, and how we deliver it all into a single spread. Because our school is so unique, our design and coverage should visually represent the characteristics that make I-Poly and its' students what it is. 
5. How did what you did help choose a topic? Explain.
  • At first I wanted to do Graphic Design. But because my position and duties in Yearbook has changed, I now want to do Editorial Publishing. Also, what I did under my mentor did not only cover Graphic Design, but the influences that it has on visually representing a school. I learned a lot about what goes into guiding and editing what my staff does. I also got the opportunity to learn more about the backbone of a successful yearbook theme, with trends and inspiration from professionals being the first priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment